Here is a simple practice to begin bringing attention to your inner state and over the next week – it will take all of 30 seconds each time.
I promise you will be amazed at what you will find.
INNER CONFIDENCE IN 7 DAYS:
1. Set a timer to play 5 times a day or every 90-minutes.
2. At the playing of your timer, close your eyes and take three conscious breaths - if you are not familiar with the concept of conscious breathing we have included a simple set of instructions to learn the process in a matter of five minutes at the end of this post.
3. After the third conscious breath as you continue to hold your eyes closed, ask yourself these three questions:
What emotion am I feeling?
Where in my body am I experiencing the emotion?
What have been my thoughts in the last few moments?
4. Create a simple grid to record your answers for the week and you will begin to see the patterns in your inner state of being in terms of time of day, emotional states and the thought processes that underlie them. This will be an invaluable resource to you in becoming aware of the impact your little robot is having on your life, career and relationships.
5. Bringing awareness to this is the first major step in shifting the state. Awareness. Focus. Attention. This alone starts to dissolve the grip of the conflict and open you up to ever increasing states of confidence.
Conscious Breathing Instructions:
There are three parts in conscious breathing and these steps will guide you through them individually.
Firstly, as you inhale silently say inhaling now and as you exhale say exhaling now – three times.
Next focus on the physical action of breath… breathing deeply and fully into the lungs and feeling your abdomen expand as you inhale and fall as you exhale fully… diaphragmatic breathing... three times.
Next focus on making the exhale longer that the inhale, if you inhale for a count of three, exhale for the count of six and so forth… do three more breaths in this way.
Now do all three parts together and you will have mastered conscious breathing!